15 January 2010

Day 1: Mission Accomplished!


Task: Finish a slipcover for a tuffet in Margot's room
Although I did begin t
his project last night, and it took up more of today than I care to admit, this task is finished. Pretty happy with the results too. I decided to do this project for 2 reasons. First, the chair that came with her new desk couldn't be pushed all the way under. That bugged me- her room is too small already to have a chair floating in the room. Second, with the re-arrangement of the living room furniture, the two tuffets we have needed new homes.
Process:
To make the slipcover, I first traced the circumference of the tuffet onto news
print. I added an inch for seam allowance/ proper fit. I then divided the circle into random (as random as my un-random brain will allow) triangles and cut. I cut the fabric from scraps leftover from Margot's quilt. Most of the fabric is from Moda's Wonderland collection. I left a quarter inch seam allowance on each triangle and hoped my geometry would work out.
Once the piecing was done, I added a layer of batting and did some simple machine quilting over the top. I wasn't quite sure how to finish the center, so I just appliqued a c
ircle in the center. Overall, the project came together quite nice for an impromptu idea. I need to find knobs for the desk and hang her memo board, then her room should be close to complete! Will post the finish product in coming days!

No comments:

Post a Comment